All-American Turkey Stuffing
Spicy sausage, sweet apples, and savory herbs come together to create the classic turkey stuffing.
– 3 cups bread cubes or croutons
– ¼ pound sausage, crumbled, cooked
– ½ cup chopped red onion
– ¾ cup diced red apple
– ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
– 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
– ½ teaspoon dried sage
– ¾ cup vegetable or chicken broth
– 5 tablespoons butter
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2) Heat a large skillet over medium. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes Add onion and cook until translucent, stirring, about 4 minutes. Add apple, walnuts, rosemary, and sage; cook until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring.
3) Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to prepared dish. Cover and bake inside turkey or alongside in the oven 45 minutes. Serve with turkey.